16.3.09

London, the place to be



I don´t know how it happened, but London kind of fell off my radar. The last time I was there, I went for 24 hours solely to see my beloved Patty Griffin in concert - and that was exciting, and I had a great time, but to be honest those 24 hours could have passed anywhere as long as Patty was singing for 2 of them.

I love England and anything British almost as passionately as I love America. It´s a very different kind of love, and it would take me a long time and a lot of words to try and describe exactly how these loves are to be compared. For now, let me just say that the sight of an English landscape, the picture of an English village, makes my heart sing in a way that no Tuscan hill or Alpine rock can achieve. There´s something about it that suits me, that speaks to me in a way no other country does.

Why had it been so long since I visited? The psychological barrier of the sea that divides us - no longer true, now that the Eurostar zaps you to London in a little over 5 hours. And oh, yes, it´s so terribly expensive. Except it isn´t, at least not right now.

I was in London this weekend for 3 glorious days and I had some of the best food I´d had in months, met some of the nicest people, had some of the best serveice, went to what may be the best food market period . And all the while, I was wondering why it had been so long, and all the time, I was plotting how I can go back as soon as possible.

Full report on all my culinary experiences to follow.



No comments: